on the Open Research Paper Competition
on Hash-Function GOST R 34.11-2012
1 General Provisions
1.1 The Russian Technical Committee for Standardization “Cryptography and Security Mechanisms” (TC 26) with the participation of the Academy of Cryptography of the Russian Federation and with the organizational and financial support of Infotecs JSC holds an open competition on research papers (hereinafter referred to as the “Competition”) on analysis of cryptographic properties of the hash-function given by the national standard GOST R 34.11-2012 “Information technology. Cryptographic data security. Hash-function.”
1.2 This provision (hereinafter referred to as the “Provision”) determines the goals, tasks, terms and conditions of participation, organizational and financial support, and the Competition procedure including the procedure of selecting and awarding the winners.
1.3 The main goals of the Competition are:
- · to attract attention of the Russian and international scientific community to Russian cryptographic algorithms and protocols;
- · to encourage and foster cryptographic analysis of algorithms and protocols contained in the national standards of the Russian Federation;
- · to promote Russian solutions for cryptographic data protection.
1.4 Infotecs JSC (hereinafter referred to as the “Organizer”) maintains control over the organization of the Competition.
1.5 The Organizer is liable for all costs and expenses for the Competition.
1.6 The Organizer and the Technical Committee TC 26 provide informational support to the Competition.
1.7 The Competition is held from October 21, 2013 to December 15, 2014.
1.8 The working languages of the Competition are Russian and English.
2 Organization of the Competition
2.1 The Organizer establishes the Organizing Committee and the Competition Committee for holding the Competition.
2.2 The Organizing Committee shall:
- · prepare informational materials about the Competition;
- · announce the Competition by:
- · publishing information about the Competition in field-specific printed materials and in the materials of relevant conferences, workshops, and symposiums;
- · publishing information about the Competition on public web-resources, including news and analytical web-sites;
- · distributing informational materials about the Competition by e-mail to mathematical and technical research organizations, institutions that are members of the Academic Association of Information Security Higher Education Institutes of Russia, and other information security companies and institutions;
- · collect submissions and entries to the Competition;
- · forward the anonymized submissions to the Competition Committee for independent evaluation;
- · provide informational support to the Competition at all its stages;
- · organize and hold the ceremony of awarding the winners of the Competition;
- · perform other duties in accordance with this Provision.
2.3 The Competition Committee shall be composed of acknowledged experts in the area of cryptography and mathematics: doctors and candidates of technical, physical and mathematical sciences, academic teaching staff of the leading establishments of higher education on information security, and experts in cryptography from scientific and technical organizations.
- · The body of the Competition Committee and its Chairman shall be approved by the Technical Committee TC 26 and the Academy of Cryptography of the Russian Federation. The Organizer publishes information about the members of the Competition Committee before the submission stage of the Competition is over.
- · The Competition Committee shall:
- · set the working procedure of the Committee;
- · develop the evaluation criteria for the submissions;
- · organize the assessment of the submitted papers by its own members and by independent anonymous experts;
- · select the winners of the Competition;
- · perform other duties in accordance with this Provision.
- · The Competition Committee adopts resolutions by a simple majority vote. In case of equal votes, the Committee Chairman shall have the deciding vote.
- · The Competition Committee provides the Organizing Committee with the results of expert assessment of the submitted papers and the list of winners of the Competition.
2.4 The Technical Committee TC 26 and the Organizer hold the ceremony of awarding the winners of the Competition.
3 Competition Procedure
3.1 The Competition is held in 2 stages: intermediate and final.
3.2 The first (intermediate) stage of the Competition is held from November 21, 2013 to March 31, 2014. The Organizing Committee accepts submissions to the first stage of the Competition till February 28, 2014, inclusive.
- · For the first stage of the Competition, only completed single- or co-authored research papers that have not been previously published in peer-reviewed journals, magazines, or technical conferences are eligible.
- · Every submission is double-blind peer reviewed at least by two experts.
- · According to the results of individual expert assessment, the Competition Committee selects up to 8 winners of the first stage of the Competition. The meeting minutes of the Competition Committee summarizing the results of the first stage along with the winners list are forwarded to the Organizing Committee for the awarding.
- · The results of the first stage of the Competition will be announced no later than March 31, 2014 on the Organizer’s web site as well as the web site of the Technical Committee TC 26, public news and other relevant web sites, and by e-mail.
The Organizing Committee guarantees ownership protection of any intellectual property rights to all participants and third parties when publishing information about the Competition.
- · The Organizing Committee notifies the winners of the first stage of the Competition with a registered letter and by e-mail according to the provided contact information. The winners will be provided with:
- · anonymous review reports of the experts who evaluated the paper;
- · a reference to the journals “Mathematical Issues of Cryptography” and “Discrete Mathematics” for the paper publication;
- · an invitation to present the paper at CTCrypt-2014, the annual symposium “Current Trends in Cryptography”.
- · Each winner (one representative of a co-authored submission) of the first stage will be paid a monetary award of RUB 70,000 (seventy thousand Russian roubles or an equivalent). This award is considered as a funding to be spent on preparing a publication of the winning paper in international peer-reviewed journals, magazines, conferences, or workshops. The list of conferences and periodicals where the paper is recommended to be published shall be individually agreed by the winner and the Organizer. A sample list of events and periodicals is given in Appendix 3 hereto.
3.3 The second (final) stage of the Competition is held from April 1, 2014 to December 15, 2014. The Organizing Committee accepts submissions to the second stage of the Competition till November 30, 2014, inclusive.
- · The following submissions are eligible for the second stage of the Competition:
- · the papers participated in the first stage of the Competition, which have already been published or accepted for publication by the date of submission;
- · any other papers published by the date of submission.
- · The Competition Committee evaluates submitted papers taking into account the significance of research contribution and the opinion of the wide cryptographic community after publication of the paper. Every member of the Competition Committee evaluates each submission individually and independently.
- · According to the individual assessments, the Competition Committee shall come to a joint decision on awarding the first and second prizes of the Competition. Up to 2 first prizes and 2 second prizes can be awarded. The meeting minutes of the Competition Committee with the approved winners list is forwarded to the Organizing Committee for organization of the awarding.
- · The first place prize is RUB 500,000 (five hundred thousand Russian roubles or an equivalent), and the second place prize is RUB 300,000 (three hundred thousand Russian roubles or an equivalent).
- · Co-authored winners will share the specified awards proportionally to their personal contribution specified in the agreement attached to the Competition submission.
Should there be no agreement about the authors’ personal contribution, the award is shared equally between the co-authors.
Should one of the co-authors refuse to participate in the Competition, the award is shared between the participating co-authors proportionally to their contribution.
Should the author or a co-author die, the award will be paid to his/her successors.
- · The prize payments are transferred to the winners’ personal bank accounts.
- · The results of the Competition are announced no later than December 15, 2014 on the Organizer’s web site, the web site of the Technical Committee TC 26, public news and other relevant web sites, and by e-mail.
- · The Organizing Committee notifies the winners of the Competition with a registered letter and by e-mail according to the provided contact information.
4 Terms of Participation in the Competition
4.1 Original completed research papers in the Russian or English languages are eligible for the Competition.
4.2 Single- or co-authored submissions are accepted for participation in the Competition. The number of the co-authors of a submission is not limited. The number of the submissions provided by a particular author/co-author is not limited.
4.3 The employees of the Competition Organizer and the members of the group of developers of GOST R 34.11.2012 shall not make submissions to the Competition as authors or co-authors.
4.4 The subject of the submitted paper must correspond to the Competition research subjects. A resolution on conformance of the submission subject to the Competition subjects is made by the Competition Committee. The list of the Competition research subjects is given in Appendix 2 hereto.
4.5 The Competition Committee shall not consider submissions that do not agree with the terms and conditions of this Provision, do not meet the preparation requirements, or are submitted after the deadlines.
4.6 For the first stage of the Competition research papers that have not been previously published in peer-reviewed journals/magazines, or conferences/workshops are only eligible. Previously published papers or “abstract only” submissions are not eligible for the first stage of the Competition.
- · The papers submitted to the first stage of the Competition shall not contain state secrets and/or other types of secret protected by law or violate intellectual property rights of third parties.
- · The submissions should be prepared in accordance with generally accepted rules for scientific publications.
- · The submissions must be provided in electronic form (files in PDF format) or in hardcopy. Handwritten submissions are not accepted to the Competition.
4.7 For the second stage of the Competition, research papers that have been published or accepted for publication in publicly available peer-reviewed journals/magazines, or conferences/workshops with proceedings, including electronic ones, are only eligible. The date of publication must not be earlier than 2010.
- · The research papers submitted to the second stage of the Competition that participated in the first stage could be updated from the original submission for publication in accordance with the requirements of the organizers of conferences/workshops, as well as publishers. If the paper has not been published by the date of submission, but is accepted for publication, the authors must provide the Organizer with the relevant confirmation.
- · The submissions that did not participate in the first stage of the Competition can also include published monographs and books, or series of articles in peer-reviewed periodicals.
- · Should only an “abstract only” version of the work be published, a full version of it must be submitted to the second stage of the Competition. The full version must be submitted in electronic form (files in PDF format) or in hardcopy. The “abstract” and the full version can be in different languages (one in Russian, and the other one in English).
- · Despite publishing the paper in generally available sources, the Organizing Committee may require the authors to provide the full text of the paper.
4.8 The materials submitted to the Competition will not be returned. Reviewers’ reports on the submission will be provided only to the winners of the first stage of the Competition.
4.9 The Competition is open to the public, and the citizenship of the participants is of no importance.
4.10 The participants can take part in the first stage, or in the second stage, or in both stages of the Competition at their will.
4.11 Participation in any stage of the Competition shall not limit the authors in publishing their papers elsewhere at their own discretion.
4.12 For participation in any stage of the Competition, the authors are required to register on the Competition web site, to fill in the electronic application, to submit the research paper, and to attach other relevant documents no later than the deadline of the particular stage.
4.13 A submission to the Competition can be made by a postal service. In this case, the research paper together with the filled-in application form and other accompanying materials in hardcopy and electronic form should be submitted at the address of the Organizer with a registered letter no later than the deadline of a particular stage. Should the materials be submitted by the postal service, the date of the submission is determined as per postage mark.
4.14 For co-authored papers, the application form must be submitted by each co-author.
4.15 To a co-authored submission, an agreement on personal co-authors’ contribution can be supplied in a free form. Should there be no such an agreement, personal contributions of all the co-authors are considered to be equal.
For single-author submissions, no agreement is required.
5 Copyright and Personal Data
5.1 Intellectual property and other rights to the results of research submitted to the Competition are reserved to their authors or other respective owners.
5.2 In accordance with the Federal Law of 27.07.2006 “On Personal Data” No. 152-FZ of the Russian Federation, confidentiality of personal data shall be ensured for the authors of the submissions to the Competition. The Competition Organizer shall take all necessary organizational and technical measures to protect personal data from unauthorized or accidental access to it, destruction, alteration, blocking, copying, distribution of personal data, as well as from other unauthorized actions.
Personal data includes:
- · passport data;
- · information about the place of work, position, and affiliation;
- · information about scientific degrees and titles;
- · information about personal contribution (for co-authored submissions);
- · numbers of bank accounts of the Competition winners;
- · contact information (home and mobile telephones, private e-mail addresses, etc.) voluntarily provided by the participants.
5.3 Making a submission to the Competition, the authors confirm that:
- · they agree with the terms and conditions of the Competition described in this Provision;
- · no information constituting state and other type of secret protected by law is contained in the materials submitted to the Competition;
- · their participation in the Competition does not violate intellectual property rights of third parties.
6 Contact Information
The Organizer is Joint Stock Company Information Technologies and Communication Systems (Infotecs JSC).
Postal address: 1/23 Stary Petrovsko-Razumovsky Proezd, bldg. 1. , Moscow, Russia, 127287.
Tel./fax: +7-(495)-737-61-92, 737-6193 / 737-72-78.
Contact person: Igor Serikov.